Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day Three: Laramie, WY to Dumas, TX

Two Buttes in southern Colorado


Southern Colorado windfarm


Goblin's Knob


Road Buddies




More Road Buddies (Lynn and Terry)



Northern Colorado-gotta love the sunflowers





He's kind of hard to spot, but there's a little frog in this photo.
Today was a long day of driving--more than 500 miles. But we made it through the rest of Wyoming, through Colorado from North to South, through the Oklahoma panhandle, and into Dumas, Texas.
I've been to Colorado twice in the last couple of years, but this time, I got to be the passenger. I think Northern CO is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. South of Denver, things flattened out a bit, even though we stayed above 4000 feet, and everything was much more dry. I think I fell asleep in here somewhere and woke up to find more of the same--sage, scrub, antelope, oil derricks, and antelope, with a little corn thrown in here and there for entertainment.
As we approached Oklahoma, the sky to the south was chock full of some of the biggest thunderheads I've ever seen. I didn't get a chance to take a photo, though, and I think Aunt Lynn had tornadoes on her mind. Somehow, the weather missed us, so we didn't see any big storm action--just hot wind, extreme humidity, and dark grey skies. Not a bad evening.
Devlin and I raced in the pool a few times tonight with Uncle Terry, and Alexandria spent some quality time warming up (?) in the sauna. Lynn made sure we all behaved. I think we're all getting a little tired out from sleeping in hotel beds and constantly adjusting to a new time zone. We have another long day ahead of us tomorrow before we finally reach the Gulf Coast on Tuesday. Can't wait to see what happens next, though.
I always seem to take great notes in the car to add to our journal here, but by the time we get settled in after dinner and swimming and I grade a few papers, I'm too tired to think of anything interesting to say. There's always tomorrow :)
Wildlife count: lots of antelope, 4 coyotes (all stalking antelope), deer, hawks, an eagle, buzzards, a frog
License plates: 38
Miss you all quite a bit.







No comments:

Post a Comment