On the 8th Day of our trip, after dropping Anais and Tim off at the airport, we drove a couple of hours to San Antonio. This was my second visit to San Antonio, but the last time I was there with Lynn, we didn't have a lot of time. I think a person could spend a week in San Antonio and still not get to see everything you would want to see.
Our hotel, a Hotel Indigo on the Riverwalk, was absolutely gorgeous. The kids and I had our own room. It had a huge balcony, big enough for four big chairs and a coffee table, and it looked out over the hotel's courtyard and the Riverwalk. I can't do the Riverwalk any justice in words, I don't think, but it's definitely worth visiting. The carefully laid out paths, waterways, and landscaping made me feel like I was in another country. Once we checked in, we spent some time decompressing on the balcony and then ordered a pizza delivery for dinner. Around 7 or 8 or so, Terry, Lynn, Alexandria, and I walked a couple of miles down the Riverwalk. The restaurants were packed, but the shops were all closed. Still, it was an enjoyable evening.
Next morning, after a quick breakfast in the room, we headed out to Seaworld. I don't know where to begin in describing this experience except to say that I was shocked to see how Seaworld had changed since I went as a little kid. We had a great time watching the Shamu show, although Devlin was cracked up by the cheesy narration and film projection during the whole thing. I've always liked orcas, and it was neat to see them up close doing all those cool tricks. They are obviously smart and clearly develop relationships. One of the adult females in the show has a calf, who participated in the show to the best of her abilities. She was the show stealer, I think. We also took in a multi-animal show--belugas, dolphins, birds, and humans engaged in all kinds of stunts. I think my favorite animal show might have been the seals, though, and their comedic antics. There's something so endearing and weirdly calculating about their ability to make people laugh. I swear they know they are funny.
Alexandria and I went on a scary water ride, the first one I've been on in years. As we plunged down a river/track in a carload of screaming people, Alexandria clutched my arm and said, "I think we're going to die." I'm still trying to figure out why we had so much fun doing this ;) The two of us also went a little nuts in the Lazy River once we discovered how silly it was if you put on a life jacket as you floated around (instead of using a tube). We were the oldest people in there, I think. Devlin joined us after a bit. We left the park late in the day quite sunburned and tired. I think poor Lynn and Terry were more than ready to get out of there.
We ate dinner that night at the Lone Star Steakhouse on the Riverwalk. It was another great meal--steaks, salads, potatoes, margaritas--what more could anyone want? Alexandria and I did a little poking around in the stores, but they were closing up as we got there, so we took a long, circuitous route home. I've enjoyed getting to spend some time with her on this trip. She's going to be 18 next summer, and while she knows we have no plans to throw her out, I know she's relishing the idea of her independence. I really want to make the most of this time we have together for the next year or two.
After all the walking at Seaworld and on the Riverwalk (all in flip-flops), my feet were killing me. We went to bed pretty early, anticipating an earlier start so that Alex could have a little more shopping time in San Antonio. Next morning, we headed straight for the Alamo (Terry, Lynn, and Devlin) and the shopping area (Alex and me). We had a good time, although our time got cut a little short by the heat, I think. Alexandria found most of the souvenirs and things she was looking for, so at least we completed our mission. After that, it was back to the car for the beginning of our return trip to Washington. Destination: Pecos, Texas!
Our hotel, a Hotel Indigo on the Riverwalk, was absolutely gorgeous. The kids and I had our own room. It had a huge balcony, big enough for four big chairs and a coffee table, and it looked out over the hotel's courtyard and the Riverwalk. I can't do the Riverwalk any justice in words, I don't think, but it's definitely worth visiting. The carefully laid out paths, waterways, and landscaping made me feel like I was in another country. Once we checked in, we spent some time decompressing on the balcony and then ordered a pizza delivery for dinner. Around 7 or 8 or so, Terry, Lynn, Alexandria, and I walked a couple of miles down the Riverwalk. The restaurants were packed, but the shops were all closed. Still, it was an enjoyable evening.
Next morning, after a quick breakfast in the room, we headed out to Seaworld. I don't know where to begin in describing this experience except to say that I was shocked to see how Seaworld had changed since I went as a little kid. We had a great time watching the Shamu show, although Devlin was cracked up by the cheesy narration and film projection during the whole thing. I've always liked orcas, and it was neat to see them up close doing all those cool tricks. They are obviously smart and clearly develop relationships. One of the adult females in the show has a calf, who participated in the show to the best of her abilities. She was the show stealer, I think. We also took in a multi-animal show--belugas, dolphins, birds, and humans engaged in all kinds of stunts. I think my favorite animal show might have been the seals, though, and their comedic antics. There's something so endearing and weirdly calculating about their ability to make people laugh. I swear they know they are funny.
Alexandria and I went on a scary water ride, the first one I've been on in years. As we plunged down a river/track in a carload of screaming people, Alexandria clutched my arm and said, "I think we're going to die." I'm still trying to figure out why we had so much fun doing this ;) The two of us also went a little nuts in the Lazy River once we discovered how silly it was if you put on a life jacket as you floated around (instead of using a tube). We were the oldest people in there, I think. Devlin joined us after a bit. We left the park late in the day quite sunburned and tired. I think poor Lynn and Terry were more than ready to get out of there.
We ate dinner that night at the Lone Star Steakhouse on the Riverwalk. It was another great meal--steaks, salads, potatoes, margaritas--what more could anyone want? Alexandria and I did a little poking around in the stores, but they were closing up as we got there, so we took a long, circuitous route home. I've enjoyed getting to spend some time with her on this trip. She's going to be 18 next summer, and while she knows we have no plans to throw her out, I know she's relishing the idea of her independence. I really want to make the most of this time we have together for the next year or two.
After all the walking at Seaworld and on the Riverwalk (all in flip-flops), my feet were killing me. We went to bed pretty early, anticipating an earlier start so that Alex could have a little more shopping time in San Antonio. Next morning, we headed straight for the Alamo (Terry, Lynn, and Devlin) and the shopping area (Alex and me). We had a good time, although our time got cut a little short by the heat, I think. Alexandria found most of the souvenirs and things she was looking for, so at least we completed our mission. After that, it was back to the car for the beginning of our return trip to Washington. Destination: Pecos, Texas!
No comments:
Post a Comment