Friday, July 23, 2010

Moab, UT to Twin Falls, ID

Mirage



Morton Salt "Factory"



Little Shoeless Boy on the Salt Flats




Terry at his time trials at the Bonneville Speedway



The expressions in this one make me laugh every time I look at it.


And this one's even better!


End of the line



Today was the penultimate day of our trip. We made a slight change to our original itinerary so that we could add one more state by going through Jackpot, NV and the Bonneville Salt Flats on our way home. It was worth it.

We're all pretty tired, I think. The car ride was quiet all day. None of us got a good night of sleep last night due to weird 5:30am calls from NYC, a squeaky gate outside our window at the hotel, and an air conditioning system that was past its prime. After checking in to our room tonight in Twin Falls, we all took an hour or so just to relax before reconvening in Terry and Lynn's room for pizza and last night festivities.
It's been a good trip. We've traveled through 10 states and only missed license plates from Kentucky, Hawaii, and Connecticut. As much as I love to travel and want to see the world, I'm ever more convinced that some of the most beautiful places in the world are right here in the American West. On this trip, I realized that this is my home, my place, the world from which I come, and the folkways I understand the best. I'm glad to be going home, though. I've never been away this long.

Tomorrow, we're heading out to Kennewick around 10 am Mountain Time. We're going to see Anais, Tim, the dogs, the cats, and eat some hometown pizza, we hope, at Brickhouse. I can't wait! Hope you've enjoyed our adventures as much as we have. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I finally caught up on your blog. Thank you for sharing your trip and thoughts with me! Your loyal subjects await the return of their Meat Queen!

    ReplyDelete