I got so far behind on writing when Tim and Anais were here, because of the wedding, and because of the fact that I'm still working and had to grade a lot of papers--I've lost track of which day I'm on. It doesn't really matter. On Tuesday this week, we drove from San Antonio to Pecos. Terry had picked Pecos as a stop on our way home because the mileage worked out about right and because Pecos figures prominently in the history of the West as one of the originating points for modern rodeo, as the residence of Judge Roy Bean, and as the Cantaloupe Capital of the US. It's a small, agricultural town, with a majority Hispanic community. Everyone there was very pleasant, and we had a great stay in a pretty fancy Best Western. I had the best chicken fried steak I've ever had in my life in the restaurant next door.
The drive from San Antonio to Pecos really marked the transition from the city to the rural, agricultural landscape. We were back in Hill Country again, which is fascinating. Along the roads are all of these rock formations, primarily rock walls, that are fully of striations and cracks--they look almost like bricks. The funny thing is that these rocks and stones are used all over the place in landscaping, etc. When I see these stones put back together in a man-made fashion, it looks not too different from the way it did on the side of the highway. I spent too much time thinking about this, but it's just how my mind works.
The kids and Lynn invented a new game in the car during this part of the trip. Maybe it's not really a game, but more of an activity. Anyhow, it started out with the election of a "Car VIP" who held unknown powers. This quickly degenerated into arguments, election scams, and "car politics", as Devlin described it. At one point, Devlin attempted a coup. This took at least an hour and a half and had everyone cracked up.
After dinner tonight, I had to go back to the room and get caught up on work, so I don't have much else to report. I think we're all getting tired.
The drive from San Antonio to Pecos really marked the transition from the city to the rural, agricultural landscape. We were back in Hill Country again, which is fascinating. Along the roads are all of these rock formations, primarily rock walls, that are fully of striations and cracks--they look almost like bricks. The funny thing is that these rocks and stones are used all over the place in landscaping, etc. When I see these stones put back together in a man-made fashion, it looks not too different from the way it did on the side of the highway. I spent too much time thinking about this, but it's just how my mind works.
The kids and Lynn invented a new game in the car during this part of the trip. Maybe it's not really a game, but more of an activity. Anyhow, it started out with the election of a "Car VIP" who held unknown powers. This quickly degenerated into arguments, election scams, and "car politics", as Devlin described it. At one point, Devlin attempted a coup. This took at least an hour and a half and had everyone cracked up.
After dinner tonight, I had to go back to the room and get caught up on work, so I don't have much else to report. I think we're all getting tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment